[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 82°F  
High: 84°F ~ Low: 67°F
Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Domestic dispute leads to arrest

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A report of an alleged domestic dispute around 7:30 p.m. Monday, led to a three-hour stand off with members of several law enforcement agencies in the Colony Acres subdivision.

Dispatchers at the Clay County Justice Center received a 911 call reporting a domestic dispute between a wife and her allegedly intoxicated husband. When an officer arrived on the scene, Floyd Thompson apparently yelled threats at the officer while waving two handguns.

As a safety precaution, Clay County Sheriff Mike Heaton said approximately 20-25 members of the Brazil City Police, Carbon Town Marshall, Clay City Police and Indiana State Police were assisting his department with evacuating nearby residents from their homes and securing a safety perimeter around the home located at 9415 N. Kimberly Drive.

Members of Trans-Care were also on the scene in case of a medical crisis.

Clay County Prosecutor Lee Reberger and Chief Deputy Kim Jackson were on the scene to help secure an arrest warrant for Thompson, 77, who has apparently been previously arrested on domestic abuse charges in Clay County.

Local residents, unable to return home, stood nearby and watched the numerous law enforcement officers wondering when they would be allowed to go home while others worried about what would happen to their friend and neighbor.

Chuck Wetnight, a friend and next-door neighbor to Thompson, was worried the situation could get out of hand very easily.

"There are too many cops here for this situation," Wetnight said. "Floyd's had enough trouble as it is. He's an old man with medical problems -- he recently survived a triple bypass surgery -- who's had a little too much to drink. If they would just leave him alone for a couple of hours, he'll fall asleep and then they can get him out of there without anyone getting hurt."

Ensuring that no one, including the suspect, would be injured during the standoff and the situation would end in a peaceful resolution, was paramount to officials at the scene, but, according to Heaton, an Indiana State Police emergency response team had been placed on standby earlier in the evening in case Thompson needed to be removed from the home.

After Thompson yelled threats at officers from the garage area and through a window of the home while brandishing two handguns, negotiators from the Clay County Sheriff's Department and the Indiana State Police were able to calm Thompson down enough that he agreed to be taken into custody without incident around 10:30 p.m.

Officials did not report any injuries to Thompson's wife.

Booked into the Clay County Justice Center with a $7,000 bond on preliminary charges of pointing a firearm and resisting law enforcement around 1:30 a.m., Thompson could face more charges once the case has been reviewed by the prosecutor's office.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: