PUTNAMVILLE -- Forty-five sprint cars made their way to Lincoln Park Speedway to battle for the title of Putnamville Clash winner on Saturday night.
When the dust settled, Jon Stanbrough had cruised to victory over a talented field to pick up a $2,000 paycheck for his efforts.
Stanbrough was forced to come through the semifeature after being unable to qualify through his heat race. However, several hot shoes had to work their way through the pair of qualifying races after not placing in the top three of the five heat races.
Bloomington's Bobby Stines took the top spot in the first semi ahead of Stanbrough and Kyle Wissmiller. Each driver advanced to the feature and in the process, regained their qualifying time which placed Stanbrough on the inside of the front row of the 30 lap feature.
In the second semi, Jimmy Laser cruised home to the victory ahead of Bryan Gerster and Davey Ray. His win gave Laser the outside front row spot for the 'A' Main.
In the feature, Stanbrough battled early on with Laser and Wissmiller before a spin sent Wissmiller to the tail end of the field.
From there, Stanbrough pulled away as the class of the field. Laser narrowed the gap in the later stages of the race with lapped traffic, but Stanbrough would get the victory.
Noblesville's Bryan Clauson came home second ahead of Plainfield's Laser. Wissmiller made his way back to fourth place ahead of Midwest Sprint Car Series regular, Hud Cone, rounded out the top five.
In the consolation feature for drivers who did not make the 'A' Main feature, Terre Haute's Shawn Krockenberger just nudged past Jason Holt at the finish line after an impressive battle over the final few laps.
In Modified action, Tom Russell of Fillmore picked up the top spot ahead of Wes McClara in a race marred by a handful of cautions.
Gary Hayden took third place followed by Joey Cox and James Tumey in fifth place overall.
Russell, Hayden and Paul Bumgardner each won heat races on the evening.
For Fillmore's Curt Leonard, his first 2004 feature victory was a long time in the coming, but certainly worth it on Saturday night when he won from the pole position.
Doug McCullough made his way up to second after starting the feature from the 10th spot with Kenny Weaver in third and last week's feature victor, Will Fagg, placing fourth. Doug Arnold rounded out the top five.
In the Bomber class, a familiar face returned to victory lane as Lloyd Walls of Terre Haute picked up another feature win.
Perhaps the night's most exciting run was from Harry Shepard, who, following last week's win, had to start the feature from the tail of the field.
Shepard, however, came off the green flag lap like a rocket, passing seven cars on the first lap alone. After starting in 19th position, Shepard worked his way through the field, but simply ran out of time in his bid to challenge Walls for the checkered flag. Shepard took third followed by Gregg Riser, Ron Wallen Sr. and Travis Heramb in fifth place.
Next week, Lincoln Park Speedway will feature sprint car action along with Modifieds, Super Stocks and Bombers with admission just $10.
Sprint Car Main Feature
17th Annual Putnamville Clash
30-lap feature, $2,000 to win
1. Jon Stanbrough, 2. Bryan Clauson, 3. Jimmy Laser, 4. Mitch Wissmiller, 5. Hud Cone, 6. Davey Ray, 7. Kent Christian, 8. Bryan Gerster, 9. Bobby Stines, 10. Kenny Carmichael, 11. Casey Shuman, 12. A.J. Anderson, 13. Doug Heck, 14. Kevin Briscoe, 15. Kyle Wissmiller, 16. Kenny Lacey, 17. Seth Wilson, 18. Ronnie Clark, 19. Kevin Chambers, 20. Alan Ballard
Sprint Car Consolation Feature
'A' Feature non-qualifiers
1. Shawn Krockenberger, 2. Jason Holt, 3. Mitch Cunningham
Semifeature winners: Bobby Stines, Jimmy Laser
Heat winners: M.Wissmiller, Chambers, Kent Christian, Ballard, Ray
1. Tom Russell, 2. Wes McClara, 3. Gary Hayden, 4. Joey Cox, 5. James Tumey, 6. Darrell Herbert, 7. Chris Brewer, 8. Jimmy Hayden, 9. Craig Conyer, 10. Josh Boller, 11. Russ Freeland, 12. Tom Bixler Jr., 13. Paul Bumgardner, 14. Brian Shaw, 15. Schuyler Nahre, 16. Ritchie Lex, 17. Karl Roethemeier, 18. Jeremy Settles, 19. Tom Black, 20. Gary Ricketts
Semifeature winner: Ricketts
Heat winners: Gary Hayden, Russell, P.Bumgardner
Super Stock Feature
1. Curt Leonard, 2. Doug McCullough, 3. Kenny Weaver, 4. Will Fagg, 5. Doug Arnold, 6. Tom Plotz, 7. Aaron Zellers, 8. Steve Smiley, 9. Kirby Morrow, 10. David Wallen, 11. Carl Patter, 12. Joe Whisler, 13. Tony Erdly, 14. Jeff Starks, 15. Chuck Walden, 16. Robert Farris, 17. Joe Jeffries, 18. David Kikendall Jr., 19. Bruce Stantz, 20. Travis Hood
Heat winners: Plotz, Smiley, Weaver
1. Lloyd Walls, 2. Gregg Riser, 3. Harry Shepard, 4. Ron Wallen Sr., 5. Travis Heramb, 6. Ron Smith, 7. Josh Fagg, 8. Derrall Smallwood, 9. John Bogard, 10. Michael Wright, 11. David Bumgardner II, 12. Dale Lewis, 13. Robb Yaw, 14. Orville Engler Jr., 15. Justin Cary, 16. Kevin Helton, 17. Sean Yakel, 18. Jason Thornburg, 19. Doug Dunagan