[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 53°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 45°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Knights win dramatic sectional opener in PK's

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Northview players celebrate after Christine Arvin scored on a penalty kick in the second round of penalty kicks in Monday's sectional opener versus Sullivan.

What better time for retribution for the Northview Knights than during Monday's soccer sectional at Terre Haute South?

Slightly more than a month after a 7-1 home thumping by the Sullivan Golden Arrows, the Knights controlled sophomore forward Paige Gill, who scored six goals in the first meeting, and won 2-1 in a dramatic sudden death penalty kick.

After two scoreless seven minute overtime periods, the two squads went into a round of five penalty kicks apiece to try and decide a winner of the match.

Sullivan got the first opportunity to score as freshman Emily Lahay fired a shot to the middle of the goal where Northview senior Bethany Fagg stifled the ball giving the Knights a chance at a quick advantage.

Northview took advantage of the chance as senior Maureen Crispin calmly stepped into a shot, placing the ball high into the left corner of the net for a 1-0 lead after the first round.

Sullivan got even in the second round as freshman Alex Jackson's shot hit the bottom of the cross bar, ricocheting down into the goal. The Knights failed to keep the lead as Erin Whitmore's shot was stopped.

In round three Sullivan again scored as Paige Bond scored into the lower left corner of the net. Ahnya Alstott was clutch for the Knights with a goal to keep the score at 2-2 into round four where Fagg again came up big on a high shot by Erica Russell. Fagg deflected the ball off the cross bar, but Marsha Krisenko couldn't provide a goal as her shot went wide right of the net.

In the final round of penalty kicks, Northview got a golden opportunity for a victory as Gill's shot went high of the net, giving Cassie Webb a shot to end the match for Northview. However, her shot went wide left, again leaving the match tied through a third tiebreaker.

The next round was even more pressure packed with the IHSAA rules calling for sudden death penalty kicks. The first team leading after a set of penalty kicks for each team, is declared the winner.

Ironically, the first shot for Sullivan was to be taken by Golden Arrow goal keeper Reva LeDune.

Keeper vs. keeper for the advantage in the match.

Northview's Fagg won round one as LeDune's shot was deflected wide giving Christine Arvin a shot to win the match for the Knights.

She did not disappoint, firing home low shot past a diving LeDune for a 2-1 victory that took more than 104 minutes of game action to decide.

Sullivan would get on the board first as Carrie Nispell found the net off a loose ball in the box. Her shot came at the 14:02 mark of the first half.

The Knights were just moments away from going into the halftime break trailing by a goal when they were awarded a penalty kick with less than 30 seconds remaining.

The corner was knocked out of bounds by Sullivan and on the resulting throwin, the ball bounded to Northview's Heather Foxx at the top of the box. Her attempt to free the ball resulted in a Sullivan handball and a Northview penalty kick with just 0.9 seconds left in the half.

Crispin would even the score on the kick, capitalizing on a momentum shifting opportunity.

"I think we played as well in the first half as we can as a team," said Northview head coach Don Bryan after receiving a celebratory showering from his team's water cooler. "We really just had that one letdown in the half, but we didn't hang our heads. Everyone out there kept playing hard."

In the second half the Knights controlled much of the early action before Sullivan began to make several penetrating runs and missed on several close chances in the waning minutes to force the decisive round of extra play.

With the win, the Knights will face Greencastle on Saturday morning at 10 a.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: