John D. Harrison, 92, of Pulpit Rock Road, Woodstock, Conn., died Thursday afternoon, Aug. 5, 2004, after a brief illness.
He was the husband of Myrtle Alice Harrison, who died in 1998. They were married Dec. 31, 1939.
He was born Oct. 16, 1911, in Brazil, a son of Ren and Estella Holdefer Harrison.
He was a graduate of Indiana State University, Terre Haute, and Columbia University Teachers' College, New York. He was a professor of art education at the State University of New York at New Paltz, N.Y., for over 20 years, and the director of the Faculty Student Association of the State University of New York, Plattsburgh, N.Y., for 10 years, before retiring to Woodstock in 1978.
He was the co-founder of Camp Laurel at Lake Minnewaska, N.Y., a co-educational summer camp that continues in Maine. He was a member of the Reformed Church of New Paltz and a friend of many years of the First Congregational Church of Woodstock.
After retiring to Woodstock, he was an active member of the community, a member of the Woodstock Board of Education for 12 years and the chairman of the Woodstock Beautification Committee.
He is survived by three sons, John Stephen Harrison of Paragon, Ind., the Rev. James S. Harrison of Woodstock and Robert Ren Harrison of Bozeman, Mont.; five grandsons; and a brother, Max Harrison of Brazil.
A memorial service will be held on Aug. 28 at 3 p.m. in the First Congregational Church of Woodstock, 543 Route 169, Woodstock. There are no calling hours. Burial will be in Woodstock Hill Cemetery at the convenience of the family.
Donations may be made in his memory to the First Congregational Church of Woodstock, P.O. Box 147, Woodstock, CT 06281.
Arrangements were handled by Smith and Walker Funeral Home, Putnam, Conn.