[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 70°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Why do they call it a slumber party when no one ever sleeps?

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Brownie Cassandra Traver (left) and Daisy Madison Garrard enjoyed parachuting their stuffed animals Friday night at the Girl Scout Slumber party.

Why is it called a slumber party? It seems no one ever sleeps. But they do party.

Nearly 90 Clay County Girl Scouts attended a slumber party Friday night at the First Christian Church Family Life Centre.

The event was sponsored by the Girls Scout's Clay County Service Unit. Slumber party committee members Chrisy Maccarone, Lori Morris, Tracie Watson and Amber France supervised the girls from Daisy up through Senior Scouts. That included youngsters from kindergarten through 12th grade.

A group of Cadets and Senior Scouts helped the leaders supervise. Their volunteer hours count toward their Older Girl Award.

There was plenty to do throughout the night. The evening started off with the girls parachuting. They spread out a large, circular, colorful "parachute", that was at least 20 feet in diameter, and placed stuffed animals in the middle of it. Then all the girls took hold of an edge and fanned the parachute up and down letting the animals "fly".

Sometimes the animals were placed on the floor under the parachute. One of the girls would try to run under the chute, grab a toy animal and get back out before the parachute came down and blanketed her.

The girls made happy, fun cards for kids at the Hux Cancer Center at Union Hospital who attend Camp Bluebird.

Singing and listening to music was popular during the evening and a variety of games entertained the young scouts.

Employees from a local dance studio helped the girls learn some new dance routines and cheers. And snacks were enjoyed by everyone.

Each troop brought chips, cookies and soda to get through the night. The Service Unit supplied donuts, milk and juice for breakfast.

After a fun filled night at the slumber party the girls and leaders left at 8 a.m. Saturday morning to go home and get a little sleep.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: