State Rep. Andy Thomas (R-Brazil) has released the results of his constituent survey.
1. What long-term issue concerns you most in this state?
22.1% - Tax rates (sales, income, property)
17.6% - Job security and new job opportunities
15.3% - Quality of elementary and high school education
13.7% - Lack of accountability in state government
8.7% - Property tax increases
4.8% - Improving our state's infrastructure (roads, mass transit, sewers)
3.6% - Other
3.0% - Crime
1.9% - Affordable housing
1.3% - Safety against terrorists
2. The last two Indiana biennial budgets have increased spending by 2 to 3 times the rate of inflation. Should Indiana adopt a spending cap that limits increased spending to the rate of inflation?
88.1% - Yes 11.9% - No
3. Should state government offer tax breaks, loan guarantees and other incentives to businesses in an effort to attract new jobs to Indiana and/or keep jobs in Indiana?
74.6% - Yes 25.4% - No
4. Continued development in our area has caused added traffic congestion on many roads. Which do you believe would be the best solution for local road funding?
67.7% - Use 100 percent of the current sales tax on gasoline for road improvements
24.5% - Maintain road funding and the repair and expansion of roads at current levels
7.8% - Increase the gasoline tax
5. How should state spending be controlled?
64.1% - Eliminating government inefficiency and mismanagement
9.8% - Other
7.7% - Slowing the rate of growth for road construction and maintenance
7.4% - Reducing social services (Medicaid, public assistance, mental health services)
6.9% - Reducing the number of felonies punishable by incarceration
4.2% - Slowing the rate of growth for road construction and maintenance
6. "Dockside gambling" is now legal for Indiana's riverboat casinos, but there will be more requests for the General Assembly to legalize "pull tabs" (similar to slot machines) at Indiana's off-track betting facilities and horse tracks?
40.2% - Yes 59.8% - No
7. Should the General Assembly allow a land-based casino to open in French Lick/West Baden?
56.2% - Yes 43.8% - No
8. Should the General Assembly allow riverboat casinos to build permanent barges attached to their riverboats to increase the size of the casinos?
36.9% - Yes 63.1% - No
9. Currently, 10 counties in Indiana and 47 other states observe daylight-savings time.
Should the remaining 82 counties in Indiana adopt daylight-savings time?
38.9% - Yes 61.1% - No
10. If the remaining 82 counties in Indiana adopt daylight-savings time, which time zone should they observe?
60.4% - Central Standard Time
39.6% - Eastern Standard Time
11. Should the ISTEP+ test be significantly shortened to make it more efficient and concise?
80.3% - Yes 19.7% - No