[The Brazil Times nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 60°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 45°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Man burned while washing parts with gasoline

Friday, April 25, 2003

Scorched earth and a person in the hospital are all that remain after a fire at the end of South Depot Street Thursday.

A neighbor said Matthew Airheart, 816 S. Depot St., was cleaning lawnmower parts in gasoline while smoking a cigarette. When the fuel ignited, Airheart's upper body was burned. He received 2nd degree burns to 60-70 percent of his body and 3rd degree burns to less than 10 percent of his body.

Brazil Fire Chief Joe Bennett said the victim was rescued from the flames by an unidentified neighbor who threw water on the fire until it was extinguished.

Airheart was flown by Lifeline medical helicopter to Wishard Hospital, Indianapolis. The incident occured around 1:30 p.m. Thursday.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: