Workers from the Brazil City Street and Water Department were working to fix a water leak at 207 N. Colfax yesterday afternoon when they hit a gas line.
The line was marked, but incorrectly, according to Gary Davis, a street department employee. The back hoe, driven by Eddie Head, hit the gas line about 2:30 p.m. Gas fumes were prevalent for a several block radius for about an hour.
Jack Bemis, of Vectren Energy Delivery, said it was just a residential gas valve and did not pose a serious danger to the area. He expected the break to be repaired within an hour or less.