[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 64°F  
High: 71°F ~ Low: 49°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Dog saves family in house fire

Thursday, October 9, 2003

An early morning house fire at 1317 Willow Drive in the Edgewood Addition left a family homeless but safe, thanks to their dog.

Brazil City Fire Chief Joe Bennett said they received the call at 3:08 a.m. today. When they arrived flames were shooting out of the living room picture window. Two fire trucks were at the scene for two hours and 20 minutes.

Sue Piper and her son, believed to be about 16-years-old, name unknown at this time, were asleep in the home. The son was in his bedroom. Piper was asleep on the couch in the living room. Piper's husband was not at home at the time.

According to Bennett, apparently a candle was burning on the living room table and it somehow ignited material, possibly a blanket or curtains.

The family dog started barking waking Piper, who woke her son and they got out safely.

Bennett said the living room and kitchen were totally destroyed. The rest of the house received extensive heat and smoke damage.

The Pipers are now staying with relatives. They lost nearly all of their material possessions. Further information about how to assist the Pipers will be published when that information is made available.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: