[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 56°F  
High: 68°F ~ Low: 54°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Clothing requested for Thursday house fire victims

Friday, October 10, 2003

A local couple and their son lost nearly all of their material possessions when their home, at 1316 Willow Drive, caught fire early Thursday morning.

Sue Piper and her son, Tyler Mayfield, 17, were at home when a burning candle apparently ignited a blanket or curtain in the living room about 3 a.m.

Mayfield was sleeping in his bedroom. Piper was asleep on the couch in the living room. Their little dog, Maggie, a part Fox Terrier, barked, waking Piper. She woke her son and they safely exited the home. Piper's husband, David Vanatti, was not at home at the time.

Brazil Fire Chief Joe Bennett said the living room and kitchen were totally destroyed. The rest of the house received extensive heat and smoke damage.

The family is currently staying at a local hotel. Although they do have some insurance, there is an immediate need for clothing and personal items.

Clothing needed and sizes are: Lady's, blouse size large to extra large, women's pants size 16 or 38-32 jeans (mens), shoes size 8, bra size 40-C, and underwear size 9. Men's, shirt size large to extra large, jeans size 34-32, shoes size 8 1/2, underwear size 32. Boy's (men's sizes), shirt size large, jeans size 32-32, shoes size 9, underwear boxers size 30.

Any items of assistance may be taken to Danita Vanatti's, David's sister, at 7 W. Daniel Biggs Drive. For more information on how to help the family or for directions, please call Danita at 443-1405 or Joyce Vanatti, David's mother, at 446-9054.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: