Fireworks show producer Mark Adamson says he will be paying for some cracked windows and other possible damage.
"We were destroying some shells we didn't want to use in shows," Adamson said this morning.
The explosion was a little bigger than Adamson anticipated, cracking windows in the Scott Stearley house across the road from the Buddy Knox farm in rural Clay County, where Adamson was working last Friday around 4 p.m.
"I told him to send me a bill and I'll take care of it," Adamson said.
The Times was not able to contact Stearley this morning.
When the shells exploded, the cloud produced could be seen from I-70. A driver called 911, thinking it was a possible terrorist attack.
Michael Knox was helping Adamson dispose of the shells in a pasture belonging to his father, Harold "Buddy" Knox.
Buddy had just walked around a corner of a building when the explosion occurred. The explosion was so loud, he thought his son and Adamson had been killed and assorted vehicles had been destroyed in the explosion.
"In my wildest dreams, I never thought he would set off the whole bunch at one time," Buddy said. "We had one gigantic boom! I was glad nobody was hurt and I'm glad I have understanding neighbors."