By MARK EVANS
For The Times
On Friday, between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m., the Clay County Purdue Extension Office will sponsor a community blood drive on the east side of the Clay County Courthouse. Photo ID is required. Donors must weigh at least 110 pounds and be at least 17 years of age. Statistically, every three seconds someone needs blood. Besides receiving a free rib-eye lunch and free promotional T-shirt, here are the real reasons to donate blood:
10. There are benefits to donating: All donors go through a mini-physical that could alert them of certain health problems, free cholesterol screening and blood type info, and most importantly feeling good about helping others in need!
9. There is a constant need for blood/blood products. Shortages can happen at any time. You can prevent shortages.
8. Indiana hospital patients use over 3,000 units of blood each week.
7. Donating blood is a community responsibility that is NOT difficult.
6. Every three seconds someone needs blood and it could be one of your loved ones!
5. Just one unit (pint) of donated blood can help save the lives of several people.
4. Although roughly 60 percent of the US population is eligible, fewer than 5 percent actually donate blood. So YOU can make a difference.
3. One out of every ten people entering a hospital needs blood.
2. Human blood is a precious God given resource. It cannot be manufactured and nothing can be substituted to serve its function.
1. Statistically, there is an 85 percent chance that you or a family member will need blood/blood products in your lifetime. So do your part!
Please call 448-9041 to schedule your appointment for July 9. Appointments are not required, so if you are unsure of your schedule stop by anytime between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Thanks in advance for caring and sharing the gift of life.