Top: The home of Joseph and Sue Lovett
Bottom: The home of Norman and Rosemary Hunt
Part 2 of 2
By GLEN BROWN
For The Times
The Sixth Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony took place at Traditions in Brazil on Friday at 7 p.m.
In part 1, we introduced two of our four award recipients: The Lyons Dairy Farmstead (Robert Lyons) and Company's Coming Dining House (Jan and Stephen Stapp and Susan and Chuck Shaffer) who will be getting Preservation Awards.
Our third Preservation Award went to Sue and Joseph Lovett, who have just finished restoring the inside and outside of a home they purchased at 158 N. Washington in Brazil. The house had been divided into apartments before the Lovetts bought it in October 2003.
The home is located in the Meridian-Forest Historic District of Brazil, which is listed on the National and State Register of Historic Places. Work on the home started almost immediately when it was purchased.
Joe's goal was to remove all the barriers and walls that formed the apartments and return the house back to its original glory (1895-1905).
The home is considered Free Classic architecture design with a small wrap-around porch.
As you enter the home, you come into the hall where the stairway leads to the second floor and opens into a parlor to the left and to other rooms on the first floor.
The house has approximately 10-foot ceilings and large walk-in closets normally seen in homes of the period. Most floors are made of 3-3 1/2-inch pine planks.
The house has two sets of pocket doors of light oak with a posted and mirrored fireplace in the dining room.
All the wallpaper in the house are period reproductions and grace the home with a sense of a Victorian country home.
The bath on the first floor has a claw-footed tub with built in cabinets -- also reflective of the time period for this home. The back stairs are plain and functional (not ornate) and were probably used by servants.
Three bedrooms are located on the second floor and, like the first floor, are decorated with antiques that Sue has been collecting.
On the second floor, a trunk room built into the home stored large, heavy suitcases used for storing linens and clothes. Both Joe and Sue are proud of the work they are doing in restoring homes to the grand homes these once were from the multi-family apartment houses they became.
This landmark has a contributing rating as determined by the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory for Clay County at a time when it was assessed with apartments. If the inventory was done today, it would most likely be upgraded. The Lovetts received a Preservation Award in the category of Residential.
Our fourth and final Presentation Award goes to an exceptional landmark in this county that many of us have passed by in awe, wondering what unique stories are harbored in the various buildings that dot the property.
Nestled in large trees and accented by a garden that's a replicate of Stephen Foster's "My Old Kentucky Home" garden.
This clustered landmark with several outbuildings, a three-story barn, and large Greek Revival home is a backdrop of early Americana at its best.
The Eaglesfield-Hunt Home and Farmstead is one of Clay County's shining stars.
The wooden-framed, gable-fronted house shows a heavy pediment, corner posts, and an entry way offset from the rest of the house resembling ancient Greek temples; thus the name Greek Revival.
The interior of the house is filled with era-specific furniture that the Hunts have collected. The house was built in 1854-55 and it once sported a large, wrap-around porch that extended from the front to the east side of the house as seen in a photo of the house when it belonged to the Eaglesfields.
Norman and Rosemary Hunt own the Eaglesfield-Hunt Home.
This clustered landmark (name meaning house with other buildings on property) has several outbuildings such as a summer kitchen, garage, smaller outbuildings, and of course, a three-story transverse-framed barn that is postcard worthy.
The summer kitchen, used during the hot summer days, was really a kitchen where the cooking was done so they didn't heat up the house where they rested and slept.
The barn was built in 1890 after the Eaglesfields bought the property and houses a cupola in the middle that opens to the third floor. It was used to vent the heat since hay can ferment if bailed green.
To go with the majesty of the home and trees, the Hunts created a flower garden and summer house. Its water fountain with the summer house backdrop is surrounded by flowers and roses and paths made of green grass that gives a pleasing design for the eyes to behold and a place to rest while taking in the view.
William Eaglesfield bought the property in 1845 where he lived in a log cabin located on the northeast corner.
He had seven children (four boys and three girls). His daughter Kate married a Robbins who owned a lumber yard in Indianapolis who would send cars to Clay County via railroad to a station across from the property to buy and sell lumber. He built a special wooden walkway from the farm to the station. Kate and her husband lived in the house after she obtained it through an inheritance. Although the house could have had oak floors as a gift from her husband, Kate preferred to keep the poplar floors. So, the lumber that was to go into the house became part of the flooring for the barn. Kate was a horse lover and could never send any of the lumberyard work horses to the "glue factory" so she housed those on the property since they had a barn made just for that. When the horses died, these were buried in the orchard that darted the back yard.
This landmark has an outstanding rating as determined by the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory for Clay County. It is listed on the National and State Register of Historic Places.