[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 38°F  
High: 41°F ~ Low: 32°F
Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2014

Fire displaces apartment residents

Friday, December 3, 2004

An early morning fire resulted in the loss of all the belongings of two men who shared an apartment today.

Ron Godsey and Charlie McGowan were not home when the apartment they rented at 307 S. King St., one of the Herman Bell apartments, caught fire around 7:15 a.m.

Brazil Fire Chief Tobey Archer said the cause is believed to be a short in an electrical outlet next to a bed. The mattress caught fire and was burned completely. There was much fire damage to the wall and a great deal of smoke damage to the rest of the apartment, Archer said.

The Fire Chief estimated damage to the building at $1,500-$2,000 and loss of contents at $4,000-$5,000.

An adjacent apartment was also damaged, but was vacant.

Archer contacted the Wabash Valley Red Cross and asked for help on behalf of the two residents.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.