[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 53°F  
High: 61°F ~ Low: 48°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Still looking for clues

Friday, January 7, 2005

Indiana State Police Diver Kevin Getz (left) holds the safety line for fellow ISP Diver Aaric Correll as he searches for evidence connected to the Toni Dickison murder investigation Thursday morning. While officers from the Clay County Sheriff's Dept. and Terre Haute Police Dept. were at the scene, a five-person ISP dive team dipped below the surface of the private pond where the body of Toni Dickison was discovered Nov. 30. Brandy Richmond photo

As snow fell late Thursday morning, a five-person Indiana State Police Dive Team donned wetsuits to search a private pond for evidence in the Toni Dickison homicide investigation.

Under the direction of Dan Jones, divers Kevin Getz, Aaric Correll, Sherri Frobeter and Chris Wright scoured the 42-degree pond three-tenths of a mile west of S.R. 59 on CR 600 North, where the body was discovered by the Brazil property owner Nov. 30. ISP Det. Tony Guinn and Clay County Sheriff's Dept. Det. Mike Heaton, lead investigators for the Dickison case, ISP Trooper Jarred Nicoson, ISP Sgt. Joe Watts and members of the Terre Haute Police Dept. were also on hand.

Starting at approximately 10 a.m., divers slipped into the pond in pairs in water as deep as 22 feet, covering the northeast side of the pond along the driveway. The 18-year-old Terre Haute woman's body was found floating near the pond's edge by some white cedar trees.

"We're looking for any evidence or personal items that may have belonged to the victim or another person," Watts explained.

While the ISP and CCSD investigative team have been actively working the case, officers have not identified a suspect or motive. While autopsy results ruled the young woman's death a homicide, they have not revealed the cause of death in order to maintain investigative integrity. Law enforcement officials have interviewed friends, family members, acquaintances and persons of interest, conducted searches of vehicles and homes, and fielded numerous phone calls from those with information pertaining to Dickison's murder.

"We're trying to do anything and everything we can, and this is one of the steps," Watts said. "We're simply looking for a break. We need a break in this case."

Although divers searched the frigid water for an hour and a half, Guinn reported nothing was found in the pond.

"This is something that we've been needing to do," Nicoson said. "And since the investigation began, we've figured out more things to be looking for."

Persons with any information that could be helpful to the Dickison murder investigation should contact the ISP at 1-800-742-0717 or the CCSD at 446-2535.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: