A fire that started in the engine compartment of a Dodge 4x4 lead to damage to a second vehicle at the Rodgers residence on W. CR 1015 North Monday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to the residence at approximately 12:45 p.m. after reports that two vehicles had been engulfed in flames, with a possible explosion and fire spreading to an adjacent outbuilding. Firefighters from Posey, Dick Johnson and Van Buren townships responded to the scene, as well as Dep. Benny Boes and Reserve Dep. Chris Robinson of the Clay County Sheriff's Dept.
Robinson explained that the truck had overheated, and when the driver looked under the hood, flames were visible. While the unnamed driver was not injured, the heat and proximity caused the Ford Mustang parked next to the truck to burn as well. The outbuilding showed no visible signs of damage, and firefighters extinguished the fires in seven to eight minutes, he added.
Owners of the vehicles and property declined to comment and would not allow photographs to be taken on the private property. A woman at the residence told The Brazil Times the family "had been through enough this year."