When flames broke out during routine maintenance on a city-owned pickup truck in the early morning hours of Jan. 20 at the Brazil City Garage, three city employees did the right things, as they were trained.
Jeremy Taylor, Ron Muncie and Gary Sanders each grabbed a fire extinguisher and contained the blazing fire until the Brazil Fire Department arrived.
None of the men were hurt in the blaze, but Jeremy Taylor replaced his coat after it caught fire during the melee.
"Those guys did a fantastic job containing the fire," Human Resource/Safety Director Debra Hobsen said. The cost from the damages has yet to be calculated, but repairs are under way by local businesses. "The damage would have been a lot worse if the men had not done their jobs."
The worst damage to the building was sustained by the electrical system during the fire.
"The truck fire damaged overhead lighting above the vehicle," Fire Chief Tobey Archer said. Fire can travel through a building's electrical system when an electrical outlet is compromised, making it prudent to check the lighting as a precautionary measure. "We don't want another fire because of possible damage to the wiring."
The furnace, overhead door, damaged wiring, fuse box and fluorescent light fixtures are being repaired.
The number of tools damaged in the fire has been minimal, with most of them already replaced in a shopping trip to Terre Haute.
As for the smoke blackened building, city employees Mike Head, Ed Head, Jeremy Taylor and Gary Sanders are giving it a good scrubbing.
"This situation just proves that fire extinguishers are very very important," Hobsen said.