[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 53°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 43°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Seelyville fire blazes for hours

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

(Photo)
Firefighters J. R. Lawrence and Ron Trueblood work through Tuesday morning to extinguish a fire in Seelyville near the intersection of U.S. 40 and Dickerson Road. The building, a former church, was believed to be vacant. Josh Cannon photo

Jordan Brown, an employee at the Seelymart gas station, first noticed something wasn't right about 6:50 a.m. Tuesday when he started hearing loud popping noises, similar to fireworks.

"A customer came in and told us, 'you better call the fire department,'" said Brown Tuesday morning.

When Brown and his co-worker Jackie Andrews went outside they found the infrastructure located behind the Seelymart in flames.

"At that point you could see it coming out through the roof and the windows," Brown said.

Tuesday the building located at 2260 Main St. in Seelyville, a former church, burned and then smoked for most of the morning. The fire caused an early morning traffic back up on U.S. 40.

Today Pam Bright from the Indiana State Fire Marshall's Office said, "It was a suspicious fire."

Bright said that is all she could say at this point. The fire is under investigation and may stay so until an arrest is made or new information is found.

Other local media are reporting a methamphetamine laboratory might have caused the fire, but Bright said she knows nothing about methamphetamines being in-volved.

Seelyville Fire Chief Tom Graham said the building was a construction site.

"There was maybe one guy living in there, but we're not sure," Graham said.

Graham didn't know who the man was, but no one was harmed in the fire.

"The call came in a little before seven," Graham said. Firefighters sprayed the site with water in the first 15 minutes of the blaze, but nothing could be done to save the building, he said.

The building had a wood interior and exterior and, "it just went quick."

Nearly 30 firefighters assisted in making the area safe, he said.

Firefighter Gary Law-rence said he arrived at the scene about 7:15 a.m.

"It was a total loss when I got here," Lawrence said.

Seelymart gas station owner Mary Paige said she was thankful for the quick response.

"Overall, we're really lucky," Paige said. "Seelyville (firefighters) did a great job."

Lost Creek Trustee Rick Long declined to comment Tuesday on the history of the building.

Persons with information about the fire should call (800) 423-0765.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: