By FRANK PHILLIPS
Ivy Tech is expanding its class offerings in Brazil.
This fall's schedule has been expanded to include a variety of classes that will be offered in the LEAAP Center, 501 E. Jackson St., starting Aug. 22.
The Brazil classes make higher education more convenient.
"Having the classes available right here in our own community makes it easier for parents or anyone who already has a very busy schedule," LEAAP Center Coordinator Mary Yelton said in a press release. "If they have to drive to the Ivy Tech Campus either at the airport or south of Terre Haute to take classes, it makes their day even longer."
The fall 2005 class schedule includes:
- Introduction to Microcomputers, Monday, 6-8:30 p.m.
- Introduction to College Writing I, Wednesday, 6-8:50 p.m.
- Introduction to College Writing II, Wednesday, 6-8:50 p.m.
- Reading Strategies for College I, Thursday, 6-8:50 p.m.
- Reading Strategies for College II, Thursday, 6-8:50 p.m.
- Mathematics, Wednesday, 6-8:50 p.m.
- Basic Algebra, Thursday, 6-8:50 p.m.
- Word Processing Applications, Tuesday, 6-8:50 p.m.
- Spreadsheets, Wednesday, 6-8:50 p.m.
Students may register at the LEAAP Center from 5 to 7 p.m., Thursday and Aug. 17. Call Beth Gardner, (800) 377-4882, ext. 2359 for more information.
Tuition costs $83.95 per semester hour for Indiana residents and $170.25 per hour for out-of-state residents. All classes listed above are three semester hours.
Internet out-of-state tuition costs $109.50 per semester hour.
There is a $35 per semester all-student technology fee.
Senior scholars receive free tuition.
Requirements are: students must be Indiana residents, age 60 and older, high school graduates or have earned their GED, retired from their primary vocation and not employed full-time.
Seniors are responsible for the cost of books, supplies, technology fees or lab fees, if applicable.
Senior scholars may take a course delivered by distance education.
For more information, call Amber Harnack, (800) 377-4882, ext. 2287.