Workers Joe King, Elam King and David Stoltzfus, of King Builders in Waveland, Ind., work together to set the posts in Ken Michael's new pole barn. He will be using the barn as his new garage after the old one caught fire from a short in the wiring and burnt down the family home in May. Joe King said that the barn would be completed by October 23.
In May, the Ken and Tina Michael family may have lost their home and garage to a fire, but not their spirit.
"We're getting settled in," Ken Michael said. "We're doing alright."
The family lost their home at 8245 N. CR 200 E. when a short in the wiring in the garage ignited a fire that quickly spread to the house, resulting in an explosion and injury of three firefighters.
"It was a really strange feeling watching it happen," he said about the fire which maxed out their insurance policy. "Up until it exploded we had evey hope and confidence that the fire would be put out. Those guys did a really great job trying to save it, but when it exploded, it was like being on the gallows and having the floor fall out from under us."
What a difference a few months can make.
"The new home is really comfortable, it's not the old place, which we'd prefer to have back, but it's nice just the same," Ken said, watching the three men from King Builders Custom building from Waveland, Ind., set the poles for the new building he will use as a garage.
"We moved it away from the house, just in case there's a next time," he said.