After a 911 call reporting a structure fire at 7 p.m. Thursday evening, members of the Brazil City Fire Department were on the scene within four minutes.
Heavy smoke poured from the eaves of the one-story wood frame home of Greg Howlett, located at 740 N. Ashley St., and the electrical service meter at the rear of the building was on fire shooting blue sparks when firefighters arrived.
While waiting for Cinergy personnel to arrive and remove the electrical hazard, Brandy and Cheyenne Howlett told officials that the power suddenly went out and they heard a thumping noise coming from the back of the house before they evacuated the home.
Off-duty personnel were called in to assist in containing flames in the attic while waiting for Cinergy. Once the power was off, the fire surrounding the electrical service both outside and inside the structure was put out.
The home, which had been recently remodeled, was heavily damaged in the kitchen, bathroom and in the interior attic space while the rest of the house sustained heavy smoke damage. The electrical breaker box, service meter and wiring in that area was completely destroyed by the fire.
Damage estimates are in the area of $15,000 to $20,000, but Greg Howlett told officials at the Brazil City Fire Department on Friday that the family's insurance company has said the damage is repairable.
Discouraged by the fire damage after just completing the remodeling of his home, Howlett also told officials that he was thankful his family was safe.
The Howlett family will be staying with family members at this time.
"The Department's firefighters did an excellent job of containing the fire to the area of origin and following department protocol when dealing with electrical hazards of this nature," Fire Chief Tobey Archer said in an e-mailed statement to The Brazil Times. "I am very proud of our city firefighters. Their level of dedication to service and coordinated efforts saved this structure from further damage."