An early morning fire Thursday at Great Dane Trailers, located at 2664 E. U.S. 40, was contained within the filter system unit of a shop blaster in the refrigeration plant by the plant's sprinkler system.
"Great Dane is really good about taking the proper precautions in this type of situation to maintain the safety of their employees and facility," Brazil City Fire Chief Tobey Archer told The Brazil Times in a telephone interview Thursday morning.
Alerted at 6:19 a.m. by officials at Great Dane, Brazil City Fire Department's two lead engines were dispatched immediately to the scene. The department's ladder engine and off-duty personnel were also called in as a precaution, but were not needed.
Fire Chief Archer said equipment malfunction was the cause of the small fire.
Plant Manager Gary Parker confirmed employees in the section where the fire was located were evacuated due to smoke from the burning filter material in the unit that did not shut down during the fire.
"There was no damage to equipment or the plant and no injuries to any employees. Only the filters to the filtration system, which need changed periodically anyway, were burned, causing minimal damage to the one unit," Parker said. "No one was sent home, but the incident did delay the start of a shift just coming on in the area of the fire for about a half hour."
The off-duty city firefighters and two fire engines were returned to the station at 6:50 a.m. All remaining personnel and equipment left the scene at 7:14 a.m.
The minor repairs were expected to be completed Thursday.