[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 59°F  
High: 61°F ~ Low: 48°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Child's death ruled accidental

Thursday, June 22, 2006

An infant is dead after sleeping with his parents and not being able to breathe in the bed. The coroner's finding of accidental death ended an investigation into the death of a two-month-old boy at Somerset Apartments on Friday.

On Tuesday, Pathologist Dr. Roland M. Kohr ruled that Dylan D. Corona died because of accidental asphyxia due to co-sleeping with his parents in their bed.

Clay County Sheriff's Detective Sergeant Jeff Maynard, Indiana State Police Detective Jason Calloway and Clay County Coroner Rick Swearingen investigated the case.

Statements and items collected from family members by the investigation team were consistent with the coroner's findings.

The investigation began when members of the Posey Volunteer Fire Department's rescue unit and Trans-Care responded to Dylan's mother's 911 call. She told dispatchers her infant son was unresponsive and she needed help at Somerset Apartments, west of Brazil. The infant was later pronounced dead at St. Vincent Clay Hospital.

The family of Dylan D. Corona has not only been devastated by the death of the child, but also by the stigma some individuals have attached to the way he died.

Dylan's grandfather, Tim Wilkey, of Terre Haute, is heartbroken at the tragedy his family is experiencing and concerned about the way others treat his grieving daughter in the future.

"This is just a tragic, tragic accident that happened," he said in a telephone interview Wednesday evening. "God forbid this happen to any child, to any family."



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: