[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 74°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 46°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Afternoon fire may have been started by hot grill

Friday, October 13, 2006

(Photo)
Diane Dierks photo

A fire broke out at 202 N. Davis St. in Brazil on Thursday afternoon. A garage and automobile were destroyed in the fire.

By DIANE DIERKS

cddierks@yahoo.com

A fire erupted at 202 N. Davis St. in Brazil on Thursday afternoon. The Brazil Fire Department arrived at the scene at 1:28 p.m. to find a garage engulfed in flames. No one was apparently home at the time of the fire.

According to Fire Chief Tobey Archer, residents may have been grilling out at the home and then placed the grill behind a couch in the garage. The fire most likely began after the residents departed.

The fire department was able to contact the renter, Nanette McAdory, to inform her of the situation. The property is reportedly owned by Leroy Kyle of Harvey, Ill.

Both the garage and the car parked inside were destroyed. Crews put out flames before they spread to the nearby house on the property.

Due to elementary schools dismissing early for parent-teacher conferences, there were children in the area at the time of the fire. After the blaze was extinguished, Chief Archer took time to discuss fire safety with neighborhood children.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: