[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 53°F  
High: 61°F ~ Low: 48°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

CCSD, BPD help in I-70 pursuit

Friday, October 5, 2007

Local law enforcement assisted members of the Indiana State Police and Terre Haute City Police Department during a high-speed chase of a murder suspect on Interstate 70 which ended in the suspect's death early Thursday morning.

The incident began sometime between 10:30-11 p.m. Wednesday in Terre Haute.

Witnesses reported an alleged domestic dispute between Major Jones III, 28, Indianapolis, and his ex-wife, Jessica Jones, 26, of Terre Haute, that turned into an abduction at the Ramada Inn. Jessica escaped from Major as he was trying to shove her into a van in the hotel's parking lot and ran across the road to the Drury Inn. Witnesses reported to Terre Haute City Police officials seeing Jones fire several shots at Jessica, one of which hit her in the head. Officials found at least five shell casings at the scene.

After the shooting, Major loaded the couple's three children and a fourth child in a different vehicle and left in the direction toward Indianapolis on I-70.

Around 11 p.m., members of the Terre Haute City Police Department located Jones' vehicle traveling eastbound near the 21-mile marker on I-70, which led to a high-speed chase.

The Clay County Sheriff's and Brazil City Police departments assisted ISP in their attempts to stop the pursuit on I-70.

Clay County Sheriff Mike Heaton was unable to comment due to the pending investigation into the police action shooting, but confirmed the limited involvement of the local departments.

Jones' vehicle struck stop sticks at the 23- and the 31-mile markers, deflating the two front tires and the right rear tire, but continued eastward at speeds ranging from 10-90 mph until the pursuit ended at the 62.5-mile marker, near Monrovia.

Early in the 30 minutes of negotiations with Jones, three of the children were released to authorities, but Jones kept a fourth child inside the vehicle.

"During negotiations with the gentleman, officers were talking to him, he did make a wave of the gun toward the child, and was making some comments that were considered life threatening," ISP Sergeant Richard Myers, public information officer, said about Jones' increasingly agitated state.

Indiana State Police Trooper Terry Watson, a three-year veteran and member of the Indiana State Police Emergency Response Team (SWAT), fired one shot at the suspect, fatally wounding Jones.

The children were not injured during the incident and have been placed in the custody of family members.

The Hendricks County Coroner pronounced Jones dead at the scene.

Other agencies assisting during the incident included the Putnam County and Hendricks County sheriff's departments and the Plainfield Fire Department.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: