The church was organized in the Fall of 1840 as Union United Brethren Church in Christ as part of Eel River Circuit with its first pastor being a circuit rider traveling on horseback. Soon after, the church became part of Wabash Conference. Services were held in homes until a log building was built in 1843 near the north side of what is now Union Cemetery. This building served as both a place of worship and a school until 1855.
It was then, in 1855, a new frame church was built across the road on the site of the present church. In 1858, the Wabash Conference was divided into Upper and Lower Wabash Conference with Union becoming part of Lower Wabash Conference. In 1880, the church underwent a remodeling program and a bell tower and new bell were added. By 1909, the church became part of White River Conference.
Plans were implemented for a new church building. The frame church was moved to the southwest of the church property as a home and still stands as a remodeled home there. In 1923, the present house of worship was built. Those who attended Union Church at this time worshiped in one of the most complete and up-to-date churches in the state, being built with brick, trimmed with stone of the Gothic Style of architecture. Another change came about in 1946 when the United Brethren in Christ Churches and Evangelical churches joined to call themselves The Evangelical United Brethren Church and by 1951 was under the direction of Indiana Conference South. Another merger came about in 1968 with the Methodist Church so the new name changed to Union United Methodist Church. IN 1969, at the first session of Conference, North and South Conference was formed with Union becoming part of Terre Haute District of South Indiana Conference.
For several years the people realized that soon a building plan needed to be implemented; so in 1994, definite plans were made and plans completed in 1995. The congregation now enjoys this beautiful new addition of more classrooms, a larger entry, and spacious Fellowship Center that provides for many church activities.
A playground and a flower garden are also enjoyed by many at the different seasons. We invite those who need the grace of God and love of Christ and want an opportunity to serve in this confused world to come and worship with us.
Special services are planned for Sunday, Oct. 14, to commemorate these years of service to the community. Sunday School for all ages will begin at 9:30 a.m. Worship service will follow at 10:30 a.m. During this service, we will be honoring the Union United Methodist Women who are celebrating 100 years of service to our church this year. The celebration will conclude with a noon meal in the Fellowship Center. All are asked to bring a vegetable or salad and desert. Come and enjoy the day at Union located 1 and 3/4 miles east of State Road 59 on Airport Road.