Three fires in less than 24 hours kept Clay County firefighters busy Monday.
A quick response time by volunteer firefighters helped save the home of Michael and Erin Moore when a gas leak caused a mobile home fire at 11442 North County Road 350 East.
"They were really lucky. There was only minimal damage," Van Buren Fire Chief Pete Taylor said at the scene shortly after the fire was put out. "Usually when there is a trailer fire it only takes about seven minutes before it is gone."
Erin Moore told firefighters the gas line to the range became disconnected or broke when she pushed it back into place after cleaning, which caught fire.
Flames were coming out of the trailer windows in the kitchen area when firefighters arrived on the scene shortly before 5 p.m. Monday.
"We used fire extinguishers at first," Taylor said. "The gas leak fueled the fire, so we had to get the water hoses in there."
The home sustained minimal damage overall, but most of the damage occurred in the kitchen around the stove area.
The Moore family moved into the mobile home last weekend and hadn't put away all their possessions according to Dave Evans, Michael's father, who was on the scene shortly after firefighters arrived.
"They did a really great job," he said. "The trailer is still standing."
Shortly after 12:30 p.m. Monday, members of the Lewis Township Volunteer Fire Dept. were dispatched to a rekindle of a home that burned last week near Coalmont on State Road 159.
Shortly before midnight, 911 dispatchers at the Clay County Justice Center were notified of a fully engulfed structure fire at 1275 N. CR 250 W. With Van Buren Vol. Fire Dept. on standby, members of Dick Johnson Vol. Fire Dept. responded to the scene and discovered that the fire was actually a homeowner burning off brush and trees on their property.
No damage was reported, but Fire Chief Kevin Orme said he discussed Indiana's open burning laws and regulations with the homeowner.