[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 45°F  
High: 57°F ~ Low: 36°F
Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014

Smoke-out proves to be successful

Sunday, November 18, 2007

To the Editor:

We would like to thank the Clay County businesses who participated in the Great American Smoke-out Nov. 15.

Smoking causes more than 400,000 deaths every year in the United States and is the major cause of heart disease and stroke.

It costs Americans an estimated $130 billion annually in medical care. On average an individual usually spends more than $3,000 a year if he or she smokes. Smoking doesn't hurt just the smoker.

A person breathing secondhand smoke is exposed to the same tar, nicotine, cyanide, arsenic, carbon monoxide and other cancer-causing chemicals as the person smoking the tobacco.

Second hand smoke can be even more harmful to children. Babies exposed to smoke are twice as likely to die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Children exposed to secondhand smoke have more asthma attacks, allergies, colds and ear infections.

Secondhand smoke causes 300,000 cases of pneumonia and bronchitis in children every year.

The Great American Smoke-Out encourages businesses and individuals to participate by becoming smoke free for just one day. Realizing they can make it through one day has given many smokers the incentive to quit for good.

Thank you for your help Clay County: Alabama Bar and Grill, American Legion, A&W Root Beer, Bob and Angie's Hometown Restaurant, BP Connect, Brazil City Hall, Burger King, Casey's East, Casey's West, Chaney's Deli, Double-N-Diner, Gas America, Hardee's, Lorenze Service, Inc., Lynn's Soda Shop, Mario Brothers Mexican, McDonald's (US 40), Oak Ridge Diner, Papa John's Pizza, Pizza Gallery, Pizza Hut, Sic Points Trading Post, Subway (Brazil)

Sheryl Raybould RN,

Clay County Health Nurse

Lina Messmer RN,

Great American Smoke-out Coordinator