[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 53°F  
High: 61°F ~ Low: 48°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Friday fire caused by wiring

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

(Photo)
Using the fire truck ladder, two Brazil City firefighters fight the flames that destroyed the residence at 416 W. Church St., Jan. 11. Ivy Jackson Photo.
Officials believe a problem with the electrical wiring was the cause of the fire that destroyed a Brazil residence on Jan. 11.

The 911 dispatchers at the Clay County Justice Center were alerted about the fire at 9:54 p.m., Friday.

Upon arrival with two fire engines, firefighters from the Brazil City Fire Department discovered thick smoke covering the area, with the only visible flames showing through windows of a house located at 416 W. Church St.

The Brazil City Police Department closed off the area along 325 -- 425 W. National Ave. to allow firefighters to run fire hoses to hydrants on the south side of the road.

Within minutes, the attic fire burned through an area near the front door and along the roof.

A third engine, a ladder truck, arrived at the scene with off-duty city firefighters as the raging fire burst through the roof, causing it to ultimately cave in.

"There was nothing suspicious about the fire and no reason to continue a further investigation," Fire Chief Jim Smith said Tuesday. "With the attic fully engulfed when we arrived, there wasn't much we could do to save it."

Smith said Mark Childs is the owner of the home while Trent Killion, the renter, was not home at the time the fire broke out.

When steam began to rise from the burned remains of the home Saturday afternoon around 1:30 p.m., firefighters returned to make sure the home would not catch fire again.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: