[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 51°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 45°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Commercial and Private Pesticide License Updates

Monday, January 21, 2008

Anyone who wants to purchase a "restricted use" pesticide must have a private or commercial applicator license to make the purchase. A private applicator license is only good on the property that one owns, rents or controls. If one plans to apply "restricted use" pesticides to other properties, then one would need to obtain a commercial pesticide license.

These licenses are not just for big farmers. In fact a person with an acre of strawberries may desire and can obtain a private applicator license.

Pesticides are labeled "restricted use" for a variety of reasons. Some pesticides like the herbicide paraquat are not likely to be damaging to the environment but pose very dangerous health and safety risks during the handling and application process to the applicator. Strict adherence of using personal protection equipment is a must when using paraquat as a small portion ingested into the body can be lethal. Other pesticides, like the herbicide atrazine, are not highly toxic relative to other herbicides, but have strict environmental use restrictions on the label.

For this reason some herbicides that have a high capacity to harm the environment are labeled as restrictive use pesticides. Still, other pesticides may have other or a combination of factors that make them "restricted use" pesticides requiring purchasers to obtain some sort of an applicator license.

Private applicators will want to check their licenses to determine when they expire as we start the year to avoid getting in a bind at the end of the year. Three private applicator recertification program (PARP) sessions must be taken to avoid retaking the exam.

A maximum of two PARP sessions may be counted in any given year. One of the three sessions may be taken via an online program session.

Therefore anyone, whose license expires in December 2009 will need to have at least one session taken before the conclusion of 2008.

The "upcoming events" section weekly at the end of this column attempts to list all local and area private applicator programs. One can also go to www.btny.-purdue.edu /PPP/PARP/ to find program listings and track how many sessions have been attended along with other information.

First time licensees or those who did not attend three sessions during five years letting the private license expire will have an opportunity again this year to take the test close to home. On March 10, from 4-7 p.m., individuals may take the private applicator exam at the Purdue Extension-Clay County office at 6656 N State Road 59, just north of I-70. One can register with the Purdue Pesticide Programs by calling 800-319-3090 or faxing 765-496-1566, or by e-mail parp@purdue.edu to take the exam.

There are also other locations from around the state where the test may be taken.

Cheri Janssen of the Purdue Pesticide Program will administer the exam.

Once individuals pass the exam, the license can be maintained and renewed by taking a minimum of three PARP sessions every five years. Or the other option as stated earlier for those whose license expired previously is to retake the exam like the one offered locally on March 10.

If you have any questions regarding your current status as a private applicator or want more information related to a commercial applicators license, please give the office a call. Also you can contact the office to purchase the materials for studying for the private applicator exam.

You can contact the local Purdue Extension Office by calling 829-5020 Ext. 14 in Owen County or 448-9041 in Clay County for more information or publication copies regarding this week's column topic or to RSVP for upcoming events. Please call first to assure items are ready when you arrive and to RSVP for programs.

While most publications are free, some do have a fee. All times listed are Eastern Time.

Upcoming Events

Jan. 22 Forestry Short Course (8 Tuesday's), Rockville, 6:30 p.m.

Jan. 25-26 Farming Together Workshop, Purdu

Jan. 28 Clay County Ext. Advisory Council Annual Meeting, 6:30 p.m.

Jan. 29 Crop Management Workshop, Purdue, 8:30 a.m.

Jan. 29 Low Maintenance Landscaping, Beef House, 6 p.m.

Jan. 28-30 Indiana Hort Congress, Indianapolis

Jan. 30 Crop Management Workshop, Danville, 8:30 a.m.

Feb. 2 Purdue Ag Alumni Fish Fry, Indianapolis

Feb. 9 Shrimp Conference, Martinsville, 8:30 a.m.

Feb. 9 Bi-state Livestock Conference, North Vermillion High School

Feb. 13-16 National Farm Machinery Show, Louisville, Ky.

February 20-21 Women in Ag Conference, Columbus

Feb. 23 The Sensual Garden, Greencastle, 8 AM

Feb. 26 Starting Bee Keeping, Session 2-4, Spencer, 6:30 p.m.

March 13 Ag Day Dinner, Brazil, 6:30 p.m.

April 2 Starting a Community Kitchen, Indianapolis, 8 a.m.