The Clay County Highway Department urges motorists to use caution while traveling roads near Eel River and other waterways in the area. Officials told The Brazil Times a motorist might not be able to see road hazards (like washouts and holes) that can form under running or standing water on roadways, which is why these areas should be avoided.
Several roads in the southern part of the county have been closed as a safety precaution due to flooding, which include:
* Pioneer Road between Sonnefield Road and State Road 46
* Sonnefield Road between Pioneer Road and SR 42
* Poland/Bowling Green Road north of Bowling Green in the Eel River bottoms area
* County Road 1300 South between SR 59 and CR 200 W
* CR 400 S between SR 59 and CR 50 E
To report other roads affected by flooding, contact the Clay County Highway Department at 835-2091 or the Clay County Sheriff's Department at 446-2535.