Fire damages Brazil home

Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Brazil Fire Department Chief Jim Smith looks over damage to the home of Robert and Mary Phelps, 540 N. Vandalia St., Brazil, Tuesday. Jason Moon Photo.

Brazil Fire Department and Brazil City Police Department officials were dispatched at 9:53 a.m., Tuesday, to 540 N. Vandalia St., Brazil, for a house fire.

Officials were on scene for close to one hour before the fire was put out.

BFD Chief Jim Smith said the fire was started after a child -- who had been playing with a lighter -- accidently set a bed on fire.

Smith said someone in the house, occupied by Robert and Mary Phelps, closed the door to the room to keep the fire in one area.

"That probably saved the house," Smith said. "It saved a lot of damage."

Smith said the bedroom was a total loss.

"The majority of the damage was contained to the bedroom," he said. "And they've got some smoke damage in the house."

Smith said the house was not a total loss.

View 2 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • Ok, where were the parents? How did the child get a lighter? I know sometimes that things just happen... but prevention is a major part of parenting!

    -- Posted by Southernized on Wed, Apr 9, 2008, at 9:17 AM
  • Thank God no one was hurt above all else!

    -- Posted by Southernized on Wed, Apr 9, 2008, at 9:18 AM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: