Mr. and Mrs. John L. Webster
Mrs. Arabelle Webster Kidd
Miss Anna Shattuck
Mr. Mattie Shattuck Robison
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Cutshall
Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Keith
Mrs. Stukley Campbell
The site for the congregation of the First Christian Church was at Washington and McDonald Streets in a frame church building also used as a community center. In 1880, the congregation was able to build a frame structure just south of their church at a cost of $8,000 and by 1900, it had outgrown this church and erected a fine, brick church on the site of the old Congregational building.
For five years, the membership enjoyed this lovely new church building. However, in on Feb. 4, 1905, a fire consumed the building. Newspaper accounts led to the famous story of the "Bible that would not burn." It seems during the fire the Bible on the pulpit fell through the floor into the basement. Debris fell on top of it and after the fire was extinguished, the Bible was found completely unharmed.
While the building was still burning, a group of women from the church met to make plans for a new church. Rebuilding started immediately. On Feb. 6, 1905, the new church was dedicated. It was an impressive building with stained glass windows, a large pipe organ, a bell in the steeple to call the congregation to worship, and two toilets -- one for the ladies and one for the gentlemen. Indoor bathrooms were impressive in 1906. The bell can still be seen today mounted just outside the foyer of the new building.
First Christian Church remained at this Washington Street site until July of 1966. On July 31, 1966, the First Christian Church family moved to their present location on U.S. 40 and dedicated the newly completed contemporary structure. In 1983 another dream was fulfilled by the members of First Christian Church. They had dreamed of a multi-purpose building where they could seat 1,000 people, have a gym area for youth activities, and obtain additional classrooms for Christian Education. On Dec. 11, 1983, the Family Life Centre was formally dedicated. Cornerstone Christian Academy, the Christian school, began its first sessions on Aug. 29, 1985. The school has enjoyed significant growth over the years. In 1993, the church family participated in an addition which added 2,600 square-feet of classroom space to Cornerstone Christian Academy.
Because of structural concerns at the existing building, construction began in November of 1996 on a new 30,308 square foot structure comprising adult and children education wings and a central worship center. The congregation occupied the building for the first time on Feb. 8, 1998.
The weekend activities will include programs both Friday and Saturday evening beginning at 7 p.m. Former senior pastors Glen Liston and Greg Comp will bring messages. On Friday, Liston will present a message entitled "Learn from the past." Then on Saturday, Greg Comp will present a message entitled "Live in the present." The weekend will wrap up with a Sunday morning message by current senior pastor, Bob Witte, entitled "The best is yet to come." That message will be delivered Sunday at 10:30 a.m.
The public is cordially invited to join the First Christian Church in celebrating this historic anniversary.