[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 52°F  
High: 63°F ~ Low: 47°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Gas leak causes stir in Carbon

Thursday, May 1, 2008

CARBON -- Dinnertime was a little tense for homeowners in Carbon after an accident caused a gas leak at a vacant home.

Carbon Town Marshal Ron Keen told The Brazil Times a portion of a service connection at a home on Locust Street was broke, after a vehicle accidentally backed into it around 5:30 p.m.

"We had a little excitement," Keen said. "But the strong wind helped dissipate the gas, and it wasn't that bad."

Firefighters from the Van Buren Volunteer Fire Department notified residents living within a block radius of the home about the leak, allowing the homeowners to decide if they wanted to evacuate or not.

Shortly after 6 p.m., linemen from Indiana Gas arrived to shut off the gas and repair the connection.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: