[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 53°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 45°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Apartment fire causes stir

Friday, May 2, 2008

What Donna Atkinson heard sounded like a "boom."

"It sounded like somebody fell up against the wall," Atkinson said regarding an apartment fire at Village Apartments at Brazil Friday afternoon. "The noise scared me, so I ran and got somebody."

After hearing the loud noise, Atkinson immediately called for help.

Brazil City Fire Department was dispatched to the complex close to 2 p.m. for a kitchen fire at apartment 14, occupied by Ronald Branham.

According to Fire Chief Jim Smith, a single-burner camp-type stove exploded as it was sitting on an electric range.

Smith said the incident took place after power was turned on in the apartment.

"He just didn't have the burners turned off," Smith said.

Branham was not at home when the fire began.

Smith said someone in maintenance attempted to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher but was unable to do so.

Smith said 99 percent of the fire was "contained to the origin." However, he said the neighboring apartment may have smoke odor for a few days and another neighboring apartment might have some water damage.

Brazil City Police Department also responded to the fire and the Red Cross of the Wabash Valley was contacted if needed.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on thebraziltimes.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

I think the Brazil Fire Department responded quickly and did a good job stopping the fire from spreading onto other apartments. Good Job Guys

-- Posted by scared4kids on Fri, May 2, 2008, at 8:18 PM

The Brazil Fire Dept did a SUPERB job on this fire!! Not only did they respond in EXCELLENT time but they got the job done without any problems. They all are OUTSTANDING!! Thank you so very much!! I know that at least eight families are very thankful for such a quality fire department right now! Thank you all again!!!

-- Posted by chickenlady on Fri, May 2, 2008, at 8:39 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: