A local veteran was not initially home when a fire destroyed his Brazil home around 11 a.m., Monday.
Brazil Fire Chief Jim Smith told The Brazil Times that Prentiss Frazier's house, 1113 North Harrison Street, was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.
"Mr. Frazier lost everything, but thankfully he was insured," Smith said. "He's staying with a family member at this time, but the American Red Cross has been contacted to assist him. The Veterans' Association has also been contacted to help him replace medicine that was lost in the fire."
Because fire hydrants are limited on the east side of Brazil, Smith said members of Van Buren and Dick Johnson volunteer fire departments provided tanker trucks to help with water assistance during the fire.
A cause has yet to be determined, although Smith said the way the house burned leads officials to believe it is potentially an electrical problem.
"We've not had time to sift through the debris yet," Smith said. "It's been a busy weekend. I sure don't want anymore (fires) in the near future."