[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 62°F  
High: 64°F ~ Low: 41°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Residents asked to report flood damage

Friday, June 6, 2008

Anyone who has suffered from flood damage during the recent high water caused by heavy rainfall needs to contact Clay County Emergency Management Director Bryan Husband.

"The more residents who report their damage, the better the chances everyone in the county, and state, have to receive assistance," Husband said.

"The latest round of storms have caused problems across the state and that could help provide a better chance for our local homeowners to get some help with their damage."

A one-page form is available at Husband's office, located in the Clay County Justice Center, 611 East Jackson St., which residents with water damage need to complete and return to Husband as soon as possible.

To accommodate busy schedules of local residents, people can contact Husband at his e-mail address, husbandb@claycountyin.gov.

"I can e-mail the form to anyone who wants one. They can print it out at home, fill in the information and return it to my office," he said.

"The state needs this information to apply for help, and, like the normal governmental process, they wanted it yesterday."

Husband said it is crucial for homeowners to report their damage because it not only helps local residents, there is a potential to help victims in other counties.

"One of the reasons we could not help anyone last time was the fact that we did not have enough damage to declare a disaster, nor did our neighboring counties," Husband said.

"I have been notified that Greene County has declared damage. Since it is a contiguous county, located right next door, we can possibly add our damages to theirs and both counties could get assistance."

For more information, contact Husband at his office phone, 812-446-2535 Ext. 156.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: