Terre Haute residents Tanette Nicole Dickison, 18, and friend Cassie Harris, 48, are picked up from a residence in Terre Haute sometime late Nov. 28, and were never seen alive again. The following timeline covers major details made available to the public about the investigation into the case that involved two counties and five law enforcement agencies:
- Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2004: Around 5 p.m., the partially clothed body of an unidentified female, believed to be in her late teens to early 20s, was found in a private pond on CR 600 N, approximately 0.3 mile west of SR 59. Indiana State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Detectives and Crime Scene Investigators were assisting the Clay County Sheriff's Department with a death investigation. The body was taken to Terre Haute Regional Hospital and scheduled for an autopsy.
- Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2004: Law enforcement officials identify former Brazil resident Dickison as the young woman found in the pond and ruled her death a homicide. A cause of death was not released. ISP Sgt. Joe Watts announced officials were asking the public for information about any unusual vehicles that may have driven by the area multiple times in one day, unusual or suspicious pedestrians or anyone lingering in the vicinity of the crime scene.
- Monday, Dec. 6, 2004: Funeral services are held for Dickison. Interviews resulted in officials obtaining a search warrant for a Terre Haute residence on South 7th St. Although they were not considered suspects in the murder investigation, officials said the unidentified individuals were people of interest in the case. Officials discovered a methamphetamine lab at the residence.
Terre Haute resident Cassie Harris, known to be involved in prostitution, is reported missing by family members to Terre Haute Police Detective Starla Nieghdy.
- Friday, Dec. 17-Monday, Dec. 20, 2004: Indiana State Police Det. Tony Guinn announced that a fourth and fifth silver/white Cadillac believed to be connected to the Toni Dickison murder investigation had been impounded at Plainfield. Officials were trying to locate the vehicle used to transport Dickison's body from Terre Haute to the Brazil area. The prior vehicles were searched and released.
-- Thursday, Jan. 6, 2005: A five-person Indiana State Police Dive Team searched the private pond for evidence in the Toni Dickison homicide investigation.
- Thursday, Feb. 10, 2005: A partially decomposed body in a creek near a plant owned by Novelis in Vigo County. Autopsy reports showed the unidentified woman had died approximately two months prior to being discovered.
- Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2005: Officials identify Harris as the woman whose decomposed body was found in Vigo County, ruling her death a homicide. A relationship between Harris and Dickison was established in that they "ran in the same circles" and could have possibly been involved in prostitution. Officials believe the two murders are connected.
- Tuesday, July 12, 2005: Officials formally charge Kevin L. Hampton, 43, Terre Haute, with the murders Dickison and Harris and, because of a DNA match, the cold-case murder of 18-year old Diana Lehman, Terre Haute. Lehman was murdered in her Terre Haute home in 2000.