[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 59°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 43°F
Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Commissioners: USDA must OK repairs to levees

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Repairs to two county levees are now in the hands of the USDA.

The Clay County Commissioners opened quotes for the work to be done on levees under the control of the Erie Canal Levee Association and Guirl Ditch Association.

"We cannot make an official approval for the work today because we have to send it off to the USDA for their approval of the funding," Commissioner Paul Sinders said. "I was informed that we should receive word back from them within a week, but possibly as soon as (today)."

According to Sinders, the USDA has a maximum amount set in order to approve funding on projects.

There is a chance, however, that the USDA could reject the funding.

"I have also been informed that if we are rejected, that we will appeal the decision," Sinders said.

In the meantime, the commissioners approved the quote from Persinger Dozier Services, LLC ($66,233) for work with the Erie Canal Levee Association, and the quote from Frey Drainage and Excavating, Farmersburg ($45,000), for the work with the Guirl Ditch Association.

Persinger had the lowest quote by a little more than $1,000, while Frey had the same low quote as Kennedy Trucking, Inc. The Commissioners decided to award the work to Frey because members of the Guirl Ditch Association felt the specifications were better in comparison.

The county will be acting as the fiscal agent for both of the associations, providing 75 percent of the cost of the funding, while the associations are responsible for the other 25 percent. All work will be paid for when it is completed, and all of the money the county contributes will be reimbursed.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: