The time is near for teachers and students.
The first day of school for teachers in Clay Community Schools for the 2008-09 school year will be Tuesday, Aug. 12, and for students Wednesday, Aug. 13. Teachers will report on Tuesday, Aug. 12 at Northview High School for a general organizational meeting.
All building principals will be on duty in their respective buildings by Thursday. For more information, contact the appropriate school with questions concerning specific enrollment dates.
Questions regarding bus transportation may be answered by calling 442-7121.
Questions regarding the LEAAP Pre-School program may be answered by calling 446-2536.
Questions regarding Cumberland Academy may be answered by calling 446-4120.
The schedule for enrolling, school visitations, paying textbook rental, etc., for Clay City Junior/Senior High, North Clay Middle School and Northview High School is as follows:
* Clay City -- Class schedules and other back-to-school information for students in grades 7-12 can be picked up in the main office from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. on Aug. 7, 8, 11, and 12.
Students unable to pick up the information, will be given these items at the beginning of the school day on Wednesday, Aug. 13.
Textbook rental will be collected once all class assignments are finalized.
New students may register in the guidance office Aug. 4, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Call the school at 939-2154 to schedule and appointment with a counselor.
The counselors will not be available Monday, Aug. 11, as they will be attending an all-day meeting, and on Tuesday, Aug. 12,, during the morning hours because of a faculty in-service day.
A special Grade 7 Orientation Night is scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 7, at 7 p.m., in the Auditeria for both students and parents are urged to attend.
All students except for seventh-grade will report to their first period classes on Wednesday, Aug. 13. Seventh-grade students will report to the Auditeria.
All Clay City Elementary sixth-grade students need to bring proof of their second MMR vaccination to school prior to the first day of school.
* North Clay -- Students new to the school corporation should contact the office between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to be enrolled. New students should bring a birth certificate, immunization records, and academic information from the previous school. To be assured everything will be ready for the first day of school, new students should enroll today through the end of the day on Friday Aug. 8.
Seventh- and eighth-grade students may visit the school and pick up their schedule Wednesday Aug. 6, from 11 a.m.- 5 p.m., or Thursday, Aug. 7, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Sixth-grade student's schedules will be available to the students attending Step-Up Day Camp Monday, Aug. 11.
Day Camp will be from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. with registration beginning at 8:45 a.m. Supplies may be purchased from the North Clay bookstore on that day.
All sixth grade students need to bring proof of their second MMR vaccination to the Aug. 11 Day Camp.
* Northview -- Beginning Monday, any new student needing to enroll may call Northview (448-2661) to arrange a scheduling appointment.
An Open House for incoming freshmen students will take place Aug. 7 beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium. Freshmen Class schedules will be distributed at that time.
Class schedules will be distributed during Home Room Wednesday, Aug. 13.
There will be no class schedule changes except to correct a schedule mistake or balance classes as per the policy in the Course Description Booklet. Any students having scheduling questions can be answered after school starts by signing up to see a counselor. Textbook rental will be collected once all class assignments are finalized.
The policy for backpacks and purses has changed beginning with the 2007-08 school year. Backpacks must be kept in lockers. Purses can be no larger than the average textbook.
* Immunizations -- All Pre-school, Kindergarten and students new to Clay Community Schools should bring a copy of their completed immunization record to school when enrolling.
* Breakfast, Lunch Prices -- The prices for breakfast and lunch for the 2008-09 school year are as follows:
* Elementary (breakfast, $1.20, lunch, $1.95),
* Middle and High School (breakfast, $1.30, lunch, $2.05), and
* Adult (breakfast, $2.20, lunch, $3.10).
Breakfast/lunch charges are no longer allowed at the middle school or high school level.
For elementary students, three charges will be allowed, but students will be asked to pay for those charges.
Students without money for meals after charges are accumulated will be provided with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and milk.
Just the facts
Telephone numbers for each school in the Clay Community Schools Corp. are:
Clay City Elementary 939-3120, Clay City Jr./Sr. High 939-2154, East Side Elementary 448-8755, Forest Park Elementary 443-7621, Special Services 448-8036, Jackson Twp. Elementary 986-2177, Meridian Elementary 448-8560, Staunton Elementary 448-8270, Van Buren Elementary 448-1362, North Clay Middle School 448-1530, and Northview High School 448-2661.
* School and Student Day Schedules is as follows:
Clay City Elementary 8:25 a.m.-3 p.m., Clay City High School 8:25 a.m.-3:05 p.m., East Side Elementary 8:15 a.m.-2:40 p.m., Forest Park Elementary 8:15 a.m.-2:40 p.m., Jackson Twp. Elementary 8:05 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Meridian Elementary 8:15 a.m.-2:40 p.m., Staunton Elementary 8:05 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Van Buren Elementary 8:05 a.m.-2:30 p.m., North Clay Middle School 8:40 a.m.-3:20 p.m., and Northview High School 8:30 a.m.-3:10 p.m.