Clay County students are probably staring at the calendar in amazement and shock.
August is now in full swing which means the back-to-school season is in affect.
Some schools are now open, teachers and administration workers are cleaning up and preparing the class rooms for eager young minds once again.
To help ease the transition for new students and those moving up to the next level, some area schools will be holding an "Open House." Students new to a school may come in during a specific time period and get information on the classroom locations and their teachers.
"We are always excited about the start of school," Jackson Township Elementary Principal Jeff Fritz said. "We are hoping to have a very productive year with the Shurley Reading Method and look forward to the results."
According to school officials the following times for are open houses have been confirmed:
* Northview High School will hold a ninth-grade orientation on Aug. 7, at 6:30 p.m.,
* North Clay Middle School sixth-grade students are encouraged to attend Step-Up Day Camp on Aug. 11, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., with registrations starting at 8:45 a.m.,
* Clay City Jr./Sr. High School will have a seventh-grade orientation night on Aug. 11, at 7 p.m.,
* Jackson Township Elementary will be open Aug. 14, from 6:15-8:30 p.m., for students and parents to meet teachers and tour classrooms,
* Parents and students are encouraged to attend Staunton Elementary for an open house on Aug. 12, from 5-6 p.m., to meet teachers, and
* Forest Park Elementary is having a kindergarten parent meeting on Aug. 11 at 7 p.m.
Both Van Buren and East Side Elementary plan to have their open houses in September, while Meridian Elementary does not currently have a date scheduled.
As of press time, The Brazil Times was unable to reach Clay City Elementary to confirm a schedule of events.
Parents are encouraged to call their respective school with questions.
Clarification: In an article printed in Tuesday's Brazil Times, it was reported that Clay City Jr./Sr. High School was having seventh-grade orientation on Aug. 11. The actual date and time is Aug. 7, at 6:30 p.m.