By JASON MOON
For a few weeks this month, several across the country couldn't keep the television off.
The 2008 Olympics took place in Beijing. The first week, according to many reports, was the highest-rated, due to swimming events featuring Michael Phelps, who won an Olympic-record eight gold medals, surpassing Mark Spitz' previous record of seven.
The Brazil Times conducted an online poll asking responders, "Have you been keeping up with the Olympics?"
Respondents were given four options to choose from, including:
* Absolutely. It's been Michael Phelps, all the time,
* I've been watching a little, but not as much as I would like,
* I can't stay up that late, so I have been recording it, and
* I haven't had much of a chance to keep up with the games.
Online readers, much like most of the nation, responded that Phelps' record-breaking surge was the biggest reason to watch the games this year, as 139 respondents (44.8 percent) said his performances were the reason to watch.
A total of 87 respondents (28.1 percent) said they didn't have much of an opportunity to keep up with the games, while 78 (25.2 percent) said they watched a little, but not as much as they wanted too.
Six respondents (1.9 percent) said they couldn't stay up that late so they recorded the events.
A total of 13 respondents commented on the poll as well.
One respondent stated, "In addition to swimming, I've become a big fan of the women and men's USA beach volleyball teams. That one match when our team came from six points behind to beat Switzerland was real exciting to watch."
Another respondent said, "Love all the events. Won't miss as it is only every four years for the summer Olympics," while another respondent stated, "It's not just about Michael Phelps for me. I enjoy all of it."
The current Times' online poll deals with the ongoing drug epidemic in Clay County.
Recently, area law enforcement conducted a drug sweep in the community, arresting several individuals.
The Times is asking respondents, "Do you believe area law enforcement is doing everything it can to combat Clay County's drug problem?"
Respondents are given three options to choose from, including:
* Yes. Law enforcement is doing a terrific job,
* I wish law enforcement would do a little more, or
* Area law enforcement is not doing enough. More needs to be done.
As always, respondents are given the option of commenting on the local poll.
Have you been keeping up with the Olympics?
* Absolutely. It's been Michael Phelps, all the time -- 139 votes (44.8 percent),
* I haven't had much of a chance to keep up with the games -- 87 votes (28.1 percent),
* I've been watching a little, but not as much as I would like -- 78 votes (25.2 percent), and
* I can't stay up that late, so I have been recording it -- 6 votes (1.9 percent).