The following is a list of items that are required of readers that submit Letters to the Editor:
* Letters on topics of general public interest are welcomed,
* All letters must be signed with the writer(s) first and last name. The name of the writer(s) will be published,
* All letters to be considered for publication must include the name of the town where the writer lives and a daytime telephone number where the writer may be reached during normal business hours,
* Letters must be 250 words or less,
* Letters must be mailed, faxed or e-mailed. The mail address is 100 N. Meridian St., Brazil, 47834. The fax number is 812-446-0938. The e-mail address is email@example.com, and
* Only one letter each month from writers who submit more than one letter a month will be considered for publication.
Regarding letters about candidates and other election issues:
* Letters from candidates will not be published from the time a person files for office until the day after the election, unless the letter is about a non-election topic and considered of unusual importance to the public dialogue regarding topics of current topical interest,
* Letters about local candidates will not be published. Local candidate issues may be addressed through advertising. Please consult with an advertising representative for guidelines and restrictions, and
* Letters about election issues will be published until the Tuesday before an election. In the week prior to an election, only rebuttals to previously published letters will be considered for publication. Any letter received after 5 p.m., Thursday, prior to an election will not be published. No letters about election issues will be published on the Sunday or Monday prior to an election or on Election Day.
These guidelines notwithstanding, the editor will make the final determination on the suitability of all letters submitted for publication.