Jeff Kochvar was in the right place at the right time.
On Thursday, Kochvar witnessed his neighbor's house on fire. So he went outside to see what he could do to help.
Kochvar said his neighbor, Amanda Gouchenowr, was covered in smoke and attempting to get the last of her children out of the home she lives in, located at 413 N. Sherman St., Brazil. The home is owned by Jeanette Deakins.
"She came out and I asked her if any of her kids were left in there," Kochvar said. "She was covered in smoke and had her other three kids."
Kochvar then went into the home but couldn't see because of the smoke. So he relied on his hearing and heard a baby crying.
"I couldn't see," Kochvar said. "But I heard her cry."
Kochvar crawled to the child, who was in a playpen in the living room.
Officials with the Brazil City Fire Department, Brazil City Police Department and TransCare were dispatched to the fire sometime prior to 9 p.m.
"It's not a total loss," BCFD Capt. Jim Smith said. "It's got smoke damage and water damage, but the main fire was contained to a child's bedroom.
"When we got here, there were flames coming out of the windows and there was heavy smoke," Smith said. "They were all home when the fire started."
Kochvar said Gouchkenowr had got three of her children out, but was having difficulty due to heavy smoke.
Gouckenowr and the children were transported from the scene via TransCare.
Smith said the fire is still under investigation.