[The Brazil Times nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 71°F  
High: 71°F ~ Low: 46°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

New trial to be scheduled for alleged molester

Friday, August 29, 2008

(Photo)
Joseph A. Short
A new trial will be scheduled for a Brazil man on alleged child molestation and battery charges after a mistrial on the same charges earlier this month.

Clay County Prosecutor Lee Reberger told The Brazil Times that Clay Superior Judge Blaine Akers was notified of the State of Indiana's intention to request a new trial date for Joseph A. Short.

"Due to the serious nature of the allegations, which involves a child," Reberger said the complete details of the case need to be presented to a jury.

On Aug. 12-13, Short, 32, was on trial for allegations stemming from a May 1 incident with a 12-year-old juvenile. He was charged with one class C felony charge of child molesting a juvenile under 14-years of age (which, if convicted, is punishable up to 2-8 years imprisonment with a $10,000 fine) and one class B misdemeanor charge of battery (punishable with up to 0-180 days imprisonment and a $1,000 fine).

After approximately 8-10 hours of reviewing evidence and deliberations, the 12-member jury was unable to make a unanimous decision and the court ordered a mistrial.

Akers remanded Short back into the custody of the Clay County Justice Center to await further potential court proceedings on the original $25,000 cash bond with no 10 percent allowed. Although the state objected, a bond reduction hearing took place and Short's bond was modified to $10,000 with 10 percent allowed.

Short is currently out on bail awaiting further legal proceedings.

Although details are limited because the case is still pending, Reberger said information came to light in testimony presented during Short's trial that was not available to the prosecution before those proceedings.

"That information has been investigated and the prosecutor's office is going to pursue prosecution of the allegations against Short," Reberger said. "A jury needs to hear all the evidence in this case."

Reberger said a new trial date would be scheduled per the court calendar.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: