Area schools, Brazil City Hall and other organizations have planned events to honor the memories of the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and their families.
* Clay City Elementary will fly all flags at half-staff, a proclamation will be read for Patriot Day and a moment of silence will take place at 8:46 a.m.,
* Jackson Township Elementary will have a first responders brunch at 9 a.m.,
* Brazil City Hall will be having a memorial at the flagpole in front of City Hall at noon. Sam Glover will be signing the National Anthem and "God Bless America," Brazil City Firefighter Toby Archer will be the featured speaker and the Brazil Concert Band will be performing "Stars and Stripes" and "Taps,"
* River Community Church will be gathering at the Clay County Courthouse from noon-1 p.m., for a "Cry Out America" event, and
* North Clay Middle School is encouraging students to wear red, white and blue, students who do will be allowed to go to the front of the lunch line, and have their picture taken. Suckers will also sold during the lunch shift and the money collected is being donated to Veterans of Indiana.
Governor Mitch Daniels has directed that flags throughout the state and at the State House be lowered to half-staff today in honor of Patriot Day. This is in accordance with a directive the governor received earlier today from President George W. Bush. The President's directive also includes a call to all Americans to observe a moment of silence at 8:46 a.m.