[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 59°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 49°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Fire destroys garage, damages home

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Electrical problems are considered the cause of a fire that totaled a garage and damaged a nearby home Thursday afternoon.

Shortly after 11 a.m., firefighters from Center Point, Cory, Jackson Township and Clay City volunteer fire departments were dispatched to a fully engulfed structure fire at John Owens rural Center Point residence, 735 South State Road 59. Members of Bowling Green Volunteer Fire Department were initially toned out, but later recalled after it was established there was enough manpower on the scene.

Center Point Fire Chief Aaron Morgan told The Brazil Times that one lane of traffic was shut down by the Clay County Sheriff's Department to allow firefighters to set up tanker trucks and keep people away from power lines knocked down by the heat of the fire.

The intense heat from the fire also caused damage and melted the new siding on a nearby house in the process of being remodeled. Morgan said the house was inspected by firefighters who determined that it was safe.

"There were a lot of tools and household items in the garage from the remodeling project," Morgan said.

"It was all lost in the fire, but I believe the house can be repaired."



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: