CLOVERDALE -- A public dedication ceremony for an Indiana state historical marker is scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 5.
The state historical marker commemorating Cataract Falls Covered Bridge will be dedicated at Cataract Falls SRA/Cagles Mill Lake, located just south of Cloverdale, three miles west of United States 231. The ceremony will begin at 10 a.m.
The text follows for the state marker entitled, "Cataract Falls Covered Bridge:"
"An 1838 state law gave county commissioners power to build bridges for 'public convenience' and to raise taxes to pay for them. Owen County Commissioners contracted 1875 for a 'Smith's High Double Wood Truss' over Eel River in Jennings Township to replace bridge destroyed by flood. This bridge finished 1876. Served as pedestrian bridge after vehicular traffic was diverted to new concrete bridge finished in 1988. Indiana Department of Natural Resources began extensive repairs to this bridge in 2000. Listed in National Register of Historic Place 2005 and rededicated 2006. Only remaining covered bridge in Owen County."
All are invited to attend the dedication ceremony for the state historical marker that commemorates Owen County's only remaining covered bridge. Covered bridges, like the one at Cagles Mill Lake, provided key crossing points over Indiana's waterways, facilitating trade and travel across the state.
Historical markers commemorate significant Indiana individuals, places and events and they help communities throughout the state promote, preserve and present history for the education and enjoyment of residents and tourists.
Through the Internet, the history reaches a worldwide audience.
For more than 90 years, the Indiana Historical Bureau, an agency of the state, has been marking Indiana history. Since 1947, the marker format has been the large roadside marker, which has the familiar dark blue background with gold lettering and the outline of the state of Indiana at the top.
There are approximately 500 of these markers across the state.