Members of the Presbyterian Church have been a presence in Brazil since 1858, when the First Presbyterian Church of Brazil was established in a frame building on the corner of Jackson and Walnut Street. Besides being a place of worship, the citizens of Brazil, in Oct. 1860, met here to vote to incorporate the village of Brazil into a town. It was also, here that the first high school classes were conducted. In 1866, this building was sold to the Catholic Church and moved to the east side of town while the Presbyterians build a new brick church on the corner of Jackson and Franklin Streets. Unfortunately, this building caught fire during Sunday School in 1871, and burned to the ground. After meeting in Hendrix Hall at Meridian and Main Streets for several years, John Hendrix donated a lot at Franklin and McDonald Streets, where a hand-pressed brick church was completed in 1877 for the sum of $7,000. By 1923 the building was condemned unsafe for use and the present building at Walnut and Rev. Dan Biggs Street was completed in 1924. In 1955 Sunday School rooms, office space and a memorial chapel was added as was Fellowship Hall. In recent years, Fellowship Hall has been renovated and a corridor constructed to link it with the church proper.
Rev. Gary Scroggins and the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church invite the community to join them in the celebration of 150 years of ministry to Brazil. On Sunday, Nov. 16, a PowerPoint presentation will be shared during the 10:30 a.m. morning worship depicting the life of the church down through the years. On Sunday, Nov. 23, the 10:30 a.m. morning worship will reflect a spirit of Thanksgiving for all that God has done in and through the congregation in the past 15 decades. During worship a time capsule will br prepared that will contain memories of individuals and families and expressions of hope for the future. This time capsule will be buried in the Fellowship Hall courtyard. A meal in Fellowship Hall will conclude the festivities of the day. Everyone is invited as the church expresses Thanksgiving for the past and dedication to the future.
For more information, call the church office at 446-2415.