[The Brazil Times nameplate] Overcast ~ 64°F  
High: 71°F ~ Low: 49°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Wall fire causes minor damage

Friday, January 16, 2009

(Photo)
Brazil City Fire Department firefighters pulled down the east side front wall of a residence located at 109 E. Chestnut St., Brazil, to put out a fire allegedly started by a space heater. Ivy Jackson Photo. [Order this photo]
After responding to several recent fire reports, officials urge local residents to be vigilant while using space heaters during this cold weather.

"We've had a rash of calls lately, which I believe are due to families just trying to keep warm during this recent cold snap," Brazil Fire Chief Jim Smith told The Brazil Times. "We've responded to several homes with electrical problems that were either faulty equipment or overloaded circuits."

Friday morning, firefighters responded to a fire started by a space heater at 109 E. Chestnut St.

"Apparently the homeowner was thawing frozen pipes in the crawl space area with a space heater when something in the wall caught fire," Assistant Fire Chief Roy Kellar said about the accident. "No one was injured, but inside the house there was minor smoke damage."

Although many families use space heaters to keep warm, both Smith and Kellar agreed homeowners should pay special attention when using them.

"People need to remain ever vigilant when using space heaters," Kellar said. "Don't place them too close to things and always supervise the units when they're in use. You can't leave (the units) alone. You have to keep an eye on them."

For more information about space heater safety, contact the Brazil City Fire Department at 448-1721.

.com.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: